Intermediate Full Stack Web Developer
We are looking to expand our team with one or more intermediate full-stack Ruby on Rails developers in Victoria, BC. We’re a remote-friendly organization and would be open to fully remote or a mixed schedule of in-office and remote work.
Animikii is a Victoria-based social enterprise (Certified B Corp / Certified Aboriginal Business) that works with leading, Indigenous-focused organizations from all industries to drive positive change for Indigenous Peoples through technology. Learn more at ANIMIKII.COM/ABOUT/CAREERS.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Takes new software features from concept to shipping in collaboration with team lead and using established patterns and approaches. This includes end-to-end development from the database all the way to the browser.
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems.
- Help maintain code quality & organization by developing automated tests and following existing conventions.
- Participate in our agile development process, including regular client interactions.
- Support, maintain & upgrade existing software projects.
- Write technical documentation.
- Support our giving-back program through pro-bono time, volunteering, workshop delivery or other social impact initiatives that are important to the team.
- Continuous learning to keep ahead of evolving technologies through individual professional development plan.
What We’re Looking For…
- Degree in computer science, software engineering or equivalent work experience.
- 2+ years of dedicated experience in a client service or agency environment.
- Experience with server-based web technologies and concepts like MVC, ORM, APIs, networking, databases, scalability, devops, tooling, etc., or willingness to learn.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Motivated self-starter.
- Team collaborators who can manage their own time and priorities.
- Experience and/or a demonstrated interest in working with Indigenous communities.
- Individuals who are interested in implementing Animikii’s core values (Humility, Truth, Honesty, Wisdom, Respect, Courage and Love).
Nice to haves
- Experience in idiomatic Ruby and Rails development.
- Experience in idiomatic React, Redux, Bootstrap development.
- Experience in using Git-based workflows in a team environment.
- Knows agile project management principles, processes and software.
- Customer service and interpersonal skills to communicate, consult and build relationships with clients, staff and partners.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
Animikii is diversity in tech in action and we value a diverse workforce. Indigenous people, people of color, women, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQIA2S+ community are strongly encouraged to apply. Animikii believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We’re looking for candidates who can expand our team culture, challenge business as usual, and bring their whole selves to work. We strive to provide those candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process. If we can offer accommodations for you in the recruitment process or you have feedback on how to make our recruiting more accessible, please let us know.
How to Apply
Animikii’s headquarters are in Victoria however we’re a remote-friendly organization and would be open to fully remote or a mixed schedule of in-office and remote work. Start date is negotiable. Competitive benefits package and salary commensurate with experience. Please email email@example.com with your resume and cover letter communicating your desire to join our team. In your letter, please address the following four topics in the order described below:
- Describe two things that attracted you to this job opportunity at Animikii?
- Why do you want to work at an Indigenous-focused organization like ours?
- Which of our values are most important to you in the workplace (Humility, Truth, Honesty, Wisdom, Respect, Courage and Love)?
- What experiences have you had that have prepared you most for this role?
- Operating as a social enterprise, giving back is a core foundation at Animikii. How would you use technology, innovation, your energy and company resources to give back to the community?
Self-identifying as Indigenous, having first-hand knowledge or experience working with an Indigenous community will be considered an asset.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only selected candidates will be contacted for interviews.